Club News‎ > ‎

Caulry GAA PRO Notes 13th September 2020-

posted 13 Sep 2020, 10:57 by Samantha Carroll
Headlines This Week:
Lotto Results, U17 Championship Semi-Final and JFC Semi-Final

Club lotto
There was no winner of the jackpot of €3,400 in our draw held on 7th of September last.
Numbers drawn: 7, 9, 18, 25
Weekly winners of the €30: Valerie Lowry, Eamon & Emma Shortall, Patricia Gaffey, Marie Muldoon, Deirdre Lennon
Sellers prize €30: Liam Malynn
Thank you for your support.
Next Jackpot is €3,600 on 14th of September 2020.

U17 Championship Semi-Final
Caulry 1-9
Killucan 3-11
Our U17s bowed out of this year’s championship in the semi-final stages when they hosted Killucan in the park on Saturday evening last.
Ruairi Casey was put to the test within the opening minute of the game as Killucan shot for goal which he dutifully knocked out for a ‘45’ which dropped short. Despite missing these early chances, it was the visitors who opened the scoring account as they pointed on the 2nd minute. Caulry notched up a few wides prior to their opening score, coming on the 4th minute as Alan Malynn made the most of the advanced mark rule. Killucan were patient in attack, tapping over another point. Senan Baker was unlucky moments later as he tore forward and shot low for goal, which he narrowly missed. This preceded the next two scores of the game which came courtesy of Malynn on the 8th and 12th minutes. Casey dealt well with a high ball in as the ball was worked out through Sean Murphy and Malynn who found Paul Hogan. Hogan then put Caulry into a four-point lead as he riffled the back of the Killucan net. The boys in yellow and white responded well, however, with a point from play straight after the water break. Hogan sent over a point on the 23rd minute after Baker showed great vision, managing to stop the ball going out over the line and opting to play it back. Once again, the Killucan boys responded in style, drawing this score back with another point from play. A long-range effort from Malynn was cancelled out moments later by another Killucan point. Our lads will rue the closing minutes of the half when they dropped their guard momentarily and Killucan pulled on a loose ball which hit the back of the Caulry net. This all-important score meant the two well-matched sides were level at the break with 1-5 each.
Killucan now playing with a storm on their backs took to the field with determination in the second half as they edged in front with a point from play after three minutes. The Caulry lads tried hard with James Buckley impressing throughout but we struggled to convert chances as our tally of wides grew. Killucan then took control of the game, adding 1-1 in quick succession to lead by five as 40 minutes elapsed. Some more missed chances for Caulry added to Killucan’s momentum as they stretched their lead with two more points. Malynn then got Caulry motoring with a pointed-free on the 22nd minute. Points from Tadgh Baker and Malynn gave our lads some hope. But, this was soon dashed as the Killucan lads tore forward and got their hattrick with two minutes left. The opposition outscored our lads 0-2 to 0-1 to deservedly take the win on a scoreline of 3-11 to 1-8.
Hard luck to the Caulry lads and their management on this unlucky result, but a huge well done on their impressive championship campaign which saw them go unbeaten throughout the initial league stages.
Team & Scorers: Ruairi Casey, Tadgh Baker, Tom Cloonan, Adam Doyle, Harry Stuart Trainor, Sean Murphy, Alan Lynam, Senan Baker (0-1, 1f), Conor Paul, Aaron Murray, Shane Lawless, James Buckley, Paul Hogan (1-1), Andrew Stuart Trainor, Alan Malynn (0-6, 2f)
Subs: Brendan McCormack for Aaron Murray, Oisin Shortall for Conor Paul

JFC Semi-Final
Caulry 1-11
Coralstown/Kinnegad 2-13
Our Juniors’ efforts in reaching a county final were denied when they battled it out against Coralstown/Kinnegad in Kilbeggan on Sunday afternoon last.
Coralstown/Kinnegad were first to get motoring, pointing after one minute of play. Caulry then got lucky as Declan Donohoe rattled the back of the opposition’s net after making the most of Roan Sweeney’s initial attempt. Cialan Dollard converted a free to stretch the margins between the teams. However, this lead was short-lived as a fumble in the Caulry defence was punished with a well-taken goal for Coralstown/Kinnegad. Although having much of the possession, Coralstown/Kinnegad failed to convert some scoring chances with the next score of the game coming from the boot of Alan Daly on the 9th minute. The tables then turned as our lads dominated possession, but similar to the opposition, we struggled to convert scores. Coralstown/Kinnegad were now more cynical up front during this period and added three points to put them two points the good. Roan Sweeney made a good run forward and set Olan Healy up for a point on the 24th minute, but it was Coralstown/Kinnegad who finished the half stronger, adding on scores to lead 1-6 to 1-3 at the halftime whistle.
Early points from Malynn and Adam Donoghue left the narrowest of margins between the teams in the second half and it was still all to play for. The game followed in much the same vein, with both teams enjoying their period of dominance. Coralstown/Kinnegad added three points prior to Malynn and Donoghue accounting for three Caulry scores. Stephen Brookes done well when introduced, making a burst forward and pointing to reduce the deficit to one. Healy worked tirelessly throughout, winning the breaking ball and finding Rory Mullins with a pass who levelled the game on the 48th minute. Although very little separated the sides, Coralstown/Kinnegad’s dominance at midfield prove vital to this win as they won the next two kickouts and finished both moves with points. Peter Smyth drew on back on the 57th minute. However, the Coralstown/Kinnegad men dug deep, firing over 1-1 to book their place in the county final.
Team & Scorers: Ernie Buckley, Luke Hamilton, Eoin Shortall, Ciaran Allen, Rory Mullins (0-1), Robbie Hickey, Dylan Lowry, Conor Dolan, Cialan Dollard (0-1, 1f), Olan Healy (0-1), Alan Daly (0-1), Roan Sweeney, Adam Donoghue (0-2), Declan Donohoe (1-0), Liam Malynn (0-3, 1f)
Subs: Stephen Brookes (0-1) for Ciaran Allen, Peter Smyth (0-1) for Rory Mullins