Club News‎ > ‎

Caulry GAA PRO Notes 30th August 2020-

posted 30 Aug 2020, 10:30 by Samantha Carroll
Headlines This Week:
Lotto Results, SFC Relegation Semi-Final and Fixtures

Club lotto
There was no winner of the jackpot of €3,000 in our draw held on 24th of August last.
Numbers drawn: 6, 10, 22, 25
Weekly winners of the €30: Mick Allen, Sinead and Roisin, Seamus and Bella, Mary Flynn, Helen Shortall
Sellers prize €30: Breda Malynn
Thank you for your support.
Next Jackpot is €3,200 on 31st of August 2020.

SFC Relegation Semi-Final
Caulry 2-8
Castledaly 0-13
Our lads secured their senior championship status under lights in Athlone on Friday night last when they fought to the bitter-end of what turned out to be a 80 minute affair (including extra time) against neighbours Castledaly in their relegation semi-final.
It was the opposition who impressed most in the opening 30 minutes of the game. Castledaly started strong and were unlucky as two goal chances went astray (one coming courtesy of Cillian Nagle’s saves) prior to opening the scoring account on the 6th minute with a pointed-free. Our lads were guilty of some wasteful possessions as Castledaly sent over their second score of the game after an initial shot came back off the post. The opposition impressed all over the field as a number of Caulry attacks were unsuccessful. Nagle brought off another fine save on the 13th minute but the opposition still managed to notch up five points before our lads got off the mark. Our opening score eventually coming on the 21st minute after a ball in from Conor McCormack found Luke Buckley who made no mistake in pocketing a goal. Castledaly responded in style, striking over another point three minutes later. Colin Murphy then converted our second score of the game, this a pointed-free but Castledaly finished strong with a well-taken score from play to lead 0-7 to 1-1 at the interval.
Castledaly were first to find their scoring boots in the second half with a point from play one minute after throw-in. A Caulry attacked trickled out wide before our lads really began to settle into proceedings. Buckley gave us hope as he finished off a nice move via Robbie Hickey and Alan Fitzpatrick by riffling the ball to the back of the net on the 35th minute. Hickey then kicked the next score of the game two minutes later, drawing level and reigniting Caulry’s desire for a win. Despite two scorable chances going wide, the Caulry lads’ hopes were not dashed as Stephen Connolly showed great vision, sending a quick free into Andy O’Sullivan who pointed to edge our lads in front for the first time in the game. This lead was short-lived, however, as the opposition broke Caulry’s momentum and reversed the scoreline by registering the next two scores of the game. Once again Nagle brought off a tremendous save, failing to buckle under the pressure of the Castledaly forwards and sent the ball out for a ‘45’, which the opposition failed to convert. Connolly kicked the next score of the game on the 51st minute, making it level-pegging once again. Despite the best efforts of our lads, it was Castledaly who owned much of the ensuing possession, but fortunately for us, as the tension rose, the opposition struggled to register their chances as they tagged on three wides. Nagle done well during this time, dashing Castledaly’s hopes for a goal with another vital intercept. The ball was then worked up the field and tapped over the bar by Buckley on the 55th minute. It was tit-for-tat for the closing minutes of the game, with both defences holding strong before Castledaly pointed on the 60th minute, forcing extra-time as the all-important senior championship status hung in-balance for both clubs.
The two sides were slow to settle in the opening minutes of extra time and missed some chances. Again, Caulry goalie Cillian Nagle must be accredited for bringing off another fine save on the 5th minute. Impressive displays from Damien Dolan and Eoin Fox inspired the Caulry defence as Castledaly were penalised for over-carrying. This free-kick landed into the awaiting arms of Paddy Sleator who set O’Sullivan up and once again, he put Caulry in front with this point after six minutes. Neil Clinton and Cialan Dollard combined out-field and set substitute Thomas Dunning for a score moments later as Caulry lead by two at the break on a scoreline of 2-7 to 0-11.
Both sides again missed scores in the opening moments after the resumption of play. Castledaly then broke their plight after four minutes with a superb long-range point. A pass from Kevin Maguire  found Dolan who tore forward and sent over what-was-to-be the winning point of the game. Nagle kept Caulry’s dreams alive as another fine save kept the two-point lead in-tact. Castledaly reduce this to one with one minute left to play as they converted a free. The Caulry lads’ hunger and desire for the win could be felt in the closing minutes of the game as Nagle kept his goal-line clear late in the game to ensure Caulry had done enough and secured their senior status for 2021.
Congratulations to the lads and their management team on this impressive display of football and deservedly securing their place in the 2021 SFC.
Team & Scorers: Cillian Nagle, Damien Dolan (0-1), Eoin Fox, Sean Fox, Neil Clinton, Kevin Maguire, Harry Hughes, Alan Fitzpatrick, John Maguire, Stephen Connolly (0-1), Conor McCormack, Colin Murphy (0-1, 1f), Luke Buckley (2-1), Robbie Hickey (0-1), Andy O’Sullivan (0-2)
Subs: Alan Rigney for John Maguire, Paddy Sleator for Colin Murphy, Thomas Dunning (0-1) for Luke Buckley, Cialan Dollard for Robbie Hickey

U15 Championship Quarter-Final at home to Kilbeggan Shamrocks on Monday, August 31st at 6:30pm
U17 Championship Quarter-Final at home to Coralstown/Kinnegad on Wednesday, September 2nd at 6:30pm
U13 Championship Quarter-Final away to Lilliput Gaels on Thursday, September 3rd at 6:30pm in Ballinagore