Club News‎ > ‎

Caulry GAA PRO Notes 9th August 2020-

posted 9 Aug 2020, 10:55 by Samantha Carroll
Headlines This Week:
Lotto Results, JFC Round 1, U15 Championship Round 2, U17 Championship Round 2, U13 Championship Round 2, SFC Round 1 and Fixtures

Club lotto
There was no winner of the jackpot of €2,400 in our draw held on 4th of August last.
Numbers drawn: 8, 16, 19, 25
Weekly winners of the €30: Maree & Rory Walsh, Brian Malynn, Joan Scully, Nessa Robbins, Tom Grenham
Sellers prize €30: Colin Hatton
Thank you for your support.
Next Jackpot is €2,600 on 10th of August 2020.

JFC 2 Round 1
Caulry 3-10
Moate 3-10
Tang hosted our JFC Round 1 clash against Moate on a fine bank holiday Monday afternoon last where both sides had to settle for a point apiece after the game finished level-pegging.
After their first attack trickled off to the side and wide, Moate pounced on the following Caulry kickout and walked the ball into the back of the net for the first three-pointer of the game. Caulry replied in style with Liam Malynn rocketing in two quick-fire goals after some good work out-field from Thomas Dunning and Roan Sweeney. Malynn then kicked the opening point of the game after seven minutes as some good pressure from the Caulry defence forced another Moate wide. Olan Healy was fouled up front and Cialan Dollard neatly converted the ensuing free to put Caulry five points the good. Moate kept their composure and drew one back on the quarter-hour mark. A few wasteful possessions from our lads saw our tally of wides rise as another Moate free cut the deficit some more. The Caulry defence done well to diffuse a goal-threat on the 24th minute with the opposition eventually settling for a point. John Maguire then kicked the next score of the game after a patient build-up. The Moate goalie brought off a fine save on the 28th minute as two late points from Malynn saw Caulry lead 2-5 to 1-3 at the break.
Luke Buckley opened the second half’s scoring tally inside the resuming 60 seconds of play. Despite some good movement, our lads struggled to convert scores as the teams shared a point each. The opposition had a purple patch with two well-taken goals on the 40th and 42nd minutes to draw level. The sides converted two pointed-frees before points from Buckley and Dunning edged Caulry in front. A number of Caulry chances fell short of the target as Moate pegged on two points to level the game for a third time. Some great vision from Alan Fitzpatrick set Dollard up for a goal on the 57th minute which looked to have put the game to bed. However, the Moate lads must be commended for their composure as they dominated the closing minutes of the game, tagging on three late points and bringing an end to an entertaining hour of football.
Team & Scorers: Michael McMahon, Ciaran Allen, Brain Mullarney, Luke Hamilton, Conor Dolan, Alan Fitzpatrick, Dylan Lowry, Rory Mullins, John Maguire (0-1), Olan Healy, Cialan Dollard (1-1, 1f), Roan Sweeney, Adam Donoghue, Thomas Dunning (0-1), Liam Malynn (2-5, 2f, 1 ‘45’)
Subs: Eoin Shortall, Ciaran Gaynor, Nicky Killane, Alan Daly, Luke Buckley (0-2), Alan Rigney

U15 Championship Round 2
Caulry 6-14
Cill Óige 1-5
Our U15s made it two from two on Monday evening last when they hosted Cill Óige in the park for their latest championship fixture.
Our boys were slow to settle with a number of shots falling wide of the target before a well-taken goal from Aaron Murphy got Caulry off the mark after six minutes. The Caulry boys rallied on from this early lead, firing over 3-3 without reply. Pressure from Sean Donnelly and Darragh Shortall in defence helped to keep the opposition scoreless as the Caulry forwards continued to add to their tally with Brendan McCormack and Andrew Stuart Trainor tapping over points on the 15th and 17th minutes. Max O’Sullivan done well under the dropping ball, clearing any threats as a late point from Cian Lawless meant Caulry had notched up an impressive 4-6 against a scoreless Cill Óige at the halftime break.
Cill Óige were first out of the tracks in the second half, converting an early free. However, a point from Shortall and goals from Stuart Trainor and Murphy soon had the homeside back in control of proceedings. The teams shared four points between the 38th and 43rd minutes before Stuart Trainor combined nicely with David Gaynor and slotted over two fine points from play. Aaron Hanevy and Dean Bryne both put their names on the scoresheet before Cill Óige registered their next score of the game. A late surge for the opposition which yielded 1-3 to Caulry’s 0-1 saw Caulry ran out comfortable winners on a scoreline of 6-14 to 1-5.
Team & Scorers: Max O’Sullivan, Sean Donnelly, Eoin Murphy, Darragh Shortall (0-1), David Gaynor, Tadgh Baker, Cormac Murphy, Tiarnan O’Donovan, Oisin Shortall (0-2), Cody Parker, Andrew Stuart Trainor (2-4), Brendan McCormack (0-2), Andriu Lynam, Aaron Murphy (3-1), Conor Hynes (1-0)
Subs: Cian Heavin, Cian Lawless (0-1), Dean Byrne (0-1), Lee Corcoran (0-1), Aaron Hanevy (0-1)

U17 Championship Round 2
Caulry 1-12
Moate 2-7
Our U17s picked up their second brace of points in this year’s championship when they overcame Moate in a hard-fought battle on Wednesday evening last.
Alan Malynn kicked off proceedings with his pointed-free after three minutes before Moate got motoring with a goal on the 9th minute to launch themselves into the lead. The homeside tallied up three wides prior to kicking their second score of the game, this a point on the quarter-hour mark. Senan Baker drew one back with his long-range effort on the 19th minute. However, the homeside responded in style with a well-worked goal around the Caulry defence. The teams then shared four points, Caulry’s two scores coming courtesy of Malynn’s placed-ball expertise and Moate’s two well-constructed points from play. A late converted-free from Malynn left Caulry trailing by four at the break.
A superb pass from Baker found Malynn who kicked for his fifth point of the game immediately after the resumption of play. A converted-free for both sides preceded the next score from play which came courtesy of James Buckley after combining nicely with Andrew Stuart Trainor. Tom Cloonan and Alan Lynam impressed in the Caulry defence throughout the game as another Malynn free left the narrowest of margins between the sides on the 43rd minute. The game went on a point-for-point basis, with three out of the next four scores coming from placed-balls and keeping Moate’s one-point lead in-tact right up until the 57th minute of the game. It was then when Caulry got lucky after some great vision from Baker who found Sean Murphy who rattled the back of the Moate net, edging our lads in front by two. Baker then stretched the lead to three moments later as the Caulry lads put up a tough fight against a late Moate surge. A late converted-free was too little too late for Moate as our lads escaped with the win on a scoreline of 1-12 to 2-7.
Team & Scorers: Ruairi Casey, Tiarnan O’Donovan, Tom Cloonan, Adam Doyle, Tadgh Baker, Sean Murphy (1-0), Alan Lynam, Conor Paul, Senan Baker (0-3, 1f), Aaron Murray, Shane Lawless, Oisin Shortall, James Buckley (0-1), Andrew Stuart Trainor, Alan Malynn (0-8, 7f)

U13 Championship Round 2
Caulry 8-15
Cill Óige 6-11
Our U13 boys picked up their first brace of points of this year’s championship campaign when they played Cill Óige in Rosemount for their Round 2 clash on Thursday evening last.
Caulry hit the ground running with a fine point from Lee Corcoran within seconds of throw-in. Cill Óige then booted for the first goal of the game on the 8th minute. However, the Caulry boys responded in style, with Aaron Buckley and Brian Doyle rattling the back of the Cill Óige net to put Caulry in the driving seat. Points from Corcoran and Rory Hatton preceded the opposition’s opening point on the 9th minute. Cill Óige then got a burst of life, scoring an unanswered 2-1 to momentarily take the lead. Simon O’Grady accounted for Caulry’s net two scores of the game as he tagged on 1-1. More points from Corcoran and Buckley sandwiched a point from play for Cill Óige. The homeside then registered their fourth goal of the game after a long-range effort dropped into the back of the Caulry net, but it was our boys who finished the half stronger with scores from Corcoran and Jack Killane leaving Caulry lead 5-8 to 4-4 at the break.
The teams shared six points in the opening minutes of the second half before three unanswered Cill Óige points cut the deficit to four. Hatton and Hugo McGowan made good strides forward, slotting over points to cushion our lead but it was still all to play for by the 52nd minute as the opposition rallied on with 1-1 without reply. The Caulry boys dug deep for the closing minutes of the game with scores from Doyle, O’Grady and Eoin Lynam widened the gap between the sides once again. The substitutes also done well when introduced with Kyle Nulty, Fionn Murphy and Sam Hatton defending well and Harry Hessen, Luke Berry and Seth Smyth making an impact up front. A late goal for the opposition meant Caulry were worthy victors at the fulltime whistle on a scoreline of 8-15 to 6-11.
Team & Scorers: Fionn O’Donovan, Ciaran Dunning, Michael McSharry, Hugo McGowan (0-1), Brain Doyle (1-2), Eoin Lynam (1-0), Eoin McCormack, Rory Hatton (0-2), Adrien Lefebvre, Simon O’Grady (3-3), Jack Kilane (0-1), Aaron Buckley (2-2), Lee Corcoran (1-4, 2f), John Paul, Tyler Mason
Subs: Sam Hatton, Harry Hassen, Kyle Nulty, Luke Berry, Fionn Murphy, Seth Smyth

SFC Round 1
Caulry 0-5
Garrycastle 5-11
Following our promotion from intermediate ranks last October, our lads took to the field for their opening game in the senior championship in Athlone on Saturday evening last against reigning champions Garrycastle.
Despite getting off to a good start with Conor McCormack pointing inside the opening 20 seconds, Garrycastle set the tone for this clash with a well-taken goal moments later. A converted-free for the men in green and red stretched their lead to three before a ball forward from Caulry trickled out wide. Kevin Maguire made a good move forward on the 6th minute setting Neil Clinton up for a point. However, another converted-free for the opposition kept the three-point deficit in-tact. McCormack’s long-range point on the 8th minute preceded some missed chances for both sides. Garrycastle then kicked the next two points of the game. A foul on Andy O’Sullivan enabled Luke Buckley to draw on back as he converted the resulting free. However, it was Garrycastle who finished the half the better team, registering 1-3 to lead 2-7 to 0-4 at the break.
Caulry’s tally of missed chances grew in the opening minutes of the second half as Garrycastle rallied on, scoring another 1-3 without reply. The Garrycastle defence done well when put under pressure, easily defusing of a number of Caulry attacks. McCormack finally kicked our single score of the second half on the 52nd minute. However, that was as good as it got for our lads with the Garrycastle forwards continuing to impress, adding on 2-1 and prevailing on a scoreline of 5-11 to 0-5.
Team & Scorers: Cillian Nagle, Glenn Carolan, Eoin Fox, Sean Fox, Kevin Maguire, Alan Fitzpatrick, Neil Clinton (0-1), Stephen Connolly, John Maguire, Luke Buckley (0-1, 1f), Paddy Sleator, Thomas Dunning, Colin Murphy, Conor McCormack (0-3), Andy O’Sullivan
Subs: Gary Flanagan for Andy O’Sullivan, Loughlin Casey for Alan Fitzpatrick

U15 Championship Round 3 away to Tubberclair on Monday, August 17th at 7pm
U17 Championship Round 3 at home to Tyrrellspass on Wednesday, August 19th at 7pm
U13 Championship Round 3 away to Tubberclair on Thursday, August 20th at 7pm