History‎ > ‎

1985 Intermediate Championship Semi Final

Caulry through to Intermediate Final 

Caulry 0-13 
Ballynacargy 1-06 

The last six years of preparation and hard work all paid off for Caulry when their Intermediate side overcame a determined Ballynacargy team to earn a place in the County Final on Sunday against St. Paul’s. 

The team was built from successful Underage teams and the side had to play to the best of their ability in order to brush aside the Ballynacargy challenge. 

In the opening minutes both teams showed signs of nervous tension, but Caulry were first to test the opposite side when P.J. Allen had a shot well saved by the Ballynacargy keeper. However, Trojan work by midfielder Tom Fallon set up Johnny Kenny for the first point of the game. Almost immediately Kenny responded again, this time taking a fine point from well out the field. 
Caulry, however at this point came under severe pressure and Ballynacargy took full advantage to notch up two quick scores. 
Caulry, however, found their touch again in the form of Peter Rigney who scored a fine point from play. 
Aidan Dunning was unusually having a quite game at corner forward up to this point, but then after some fine workmanship, he forced a free, which he converted beautifully with great composure. 
Ballynacargy responded with a point, before Caulry again forced two frees which Aidan Dunning had no problem in pointing. 
The last score of the first half however, belonged to Ballynacargy which left the half time score, Caulry 0-06, Ballynacargy 0-04. 

Second Half 
The second half was a close encounter with Caulry looking stretched in the back at times. Centre back Richie Allen was an inspiring figure and his and Caulry’s first points of the second half was from a well-taken free from the 40 yards – indeed very similar to the two marvellous frees taken by Kerry and Monaghan in the recent All-Ireland Semi final. 

At this stage the Caulry supporters were given a real fright when Ballynacargy broke for a point and then forced a penalty which they scored effectively. With Caulry one point down Richie Allen again showed his ability converting a long range free to level the scores. This was the turning point of the game and Caulry took the ball to Ballynacargy with great determination. Two points from P.J. Allen, one free, increased Caulry’s lead and Peter Rigney amply justified his selection at centre-forward by adding another point. As the minutes died out the two best scores of the game were recorded by midfielders, Tom Fallon and Johnny Woods, with Ballynacargy scoring as they did in the first half, the last point of the half. 
This game showed a renewed attitude by the Caulry team and all members played excellent football. 

Special mention must be given to defenders Tommy Rigney, Richie Allen and Tommy Woods who were watertight at the back. Tom Fallon had one of his best games ever for the club, and up front Niall Donohue and Peter Rigney worked very hard. 

Team and scorers: Tony Mulvihill, Tommy Rigney, T.J. Dunning, Anthony Allen, Seamus Dolan, Richie Allen (0-2), Tommy Woods, Tom Fallon (0-1), Johnny Woods (0-1), Niall Donohue, Peter Rigney(0-2), Pierce Gately, Aidan Dunning (0-3), Johnny Kenny(0-2) and P.J. Allen (0-2).

Extracted from the Westmeath Independent Archives