History‎ > ‎

2003 Junior Championship "B" County Final

Ballymore run over by rampant Caulry in Junior Final 

Caulry 0-13 
Ballymore 0-5

A rampant Caulry side overwhelmed opponents Ballymore in the Westmeath Junior B Final in Moate last Sunday afternoon, dominating large periods of play and demonstrating some impressive attacking football in the process.
Ballymore were not without their chances over the sixty minutes but it was Caulry who looked the stronger side overall, especially in the second period when they completely monopolised midfield.
Ballymore were on the hunt for their second title of the year, having already claimed the Intermediate Championship but it was Caulry who made their position clear when they scored the first point of the game through Willie Buckley after two minutes.
Caulry continued their early pressure on Ballymore, who were finding it difficult to get into the game and with five minutes gone, Caulry increased their lead when Ernie Buckley played a great one-two with Alan Rigney before setting up Peter Rigney who scored Caulry’s second point of the game.

Ballymore full forward Vinnie McCormack brought his side back into the game with a well-converted free after ten minutes but both he and Francis Eivers then spurned successive scoring opportunities to leave Ballymore trailing by 0-2 to 0-1.
Conor Allen scored a brilliant long- range point from midfield for Caulry before his team-mate Peter Rigney scored his second point of the game to further stamp Caulry’s authority on the tie.
Ballymore fought back in the last period of the half though and began to find their feet, holding off the Caulry attacks and fashioning a brilliant point of their own through half back Connie McKnight, who cut a swathe through the Caulry defence before placing the ball over the bar beautifully from thirty yards.
Caulry had the last say of the half however through corner forward John Smith who flashed the ball over the bar after Willie Buckley and Alan Rigney combined to set up the chance for him.
With just three points between the sides at half time, it still looked as if Ballymore could up their game and take control of the game in the second period. 
It was not to be though as Caulry continued where they had left off, scoring a succession of points and dominating the midfield area. 

Ballymore scored the first point of the half through the impressive Vinnie McCormack, who calmly placed the ball over the bar after being set up by midfielder Dermot Farrell.
Caulry responded immediately however through Conor Allen who scored another long-range point, this time from a free kick to restore his side’s three point advantage.
The Ballymore backline was guilty of some slack defending in this tie and when Caulry full forward Alan Rigney was afforded too much room in front of goal half way through the second period, he had the relatively simple task of tapping the ball over the bar from Ernie Buckley’s lay-off.

Caulry almost had another score a minute later when Alan Rigney set up Peter Rigney whose effort rebounded off the post and into the hands of peter Smith whose effort drifted wide.
Caulry were not to be denied for long and Conor Allen was back on the scoresheet again soon after with two more well-taken free to give his side a six-point advantage.
The game was now slipping from Ballymore’s reach but they continued to battle back, claiming points through substitute Stephen Rooney and Vinny McCormack to give themselves a fighting chance.
But if the stage was set for a late Ballymore comeback then Caulry hadn’t read the script and in the last five minutes of the game Ballymore were completely overawed by their opponents.
Another free kick from man of the match Conor Allen put Caulry back in the driving seat. He almost immediately followed it up with yet another brilliant long-range point to virtually ensure a Caulry victory on the day.
Full forward Vinnie McCormack was then sent off for Ballymore but at this stage it made little difference as the outcome of the game seemed inevitable. 
Two more points for Willie Buckley and Simon Keegan wrapped things up as Ballymore lost heart in the dying minutes of the game and Caulry put a total of eight points between the sides to take the Junior B title on a calm and sunny day in Moate.

Caulry: TJ Dunning; Johnny Buckley; Nicky Killane; Brian Muldoon; Mark Malone; Brian Malarney (Capt); Simon Keegan (0-1); Anselm Fitzgerald; Conor Allen (0-6); Ernie Buckley; Willie Buckley (0-2); Peter Smith; Peter Rigney (0-2); Alan Rigney (0-1) and John Smith (0-1). Subs used: Damien Dowd for John Smith and Damien Keenan for Peter Rigney. 

Ballymore: Stephen McCormack; David Malynn; Ollie McKnight; Enda Keena; Connie McKnight (0-1); Barry McDermott; Bobby McDermott; Paddy Lynch; Dermot Farrell; Anthony Kearney; Brian McCabe; Francis Eivers; Derek Cuffe; Vinny McCormack (0-3); Geoffrey Allen. Subs used: Stephen Rooney (0-1), Anthony Kearney and Willie Finnerty.

Referee: Christy McCarthy (Moate).